Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Just Do It! Free ART Friday :)

TGIF!  Or at least in some countries it's Friday!

I hope your week was magical and productive. I spent the week doing a lot of learning. We are never too old to learn, right? I've been taking a couple of creative business courses this month which I put a lot of effort into this week,  along with just simply sitting my butt down to figure out things I haven't done yet but have had on my 'to do list' for awhile.

For example, I sat down and created a skeleton of a website I hope to grow into something a lot more flourishing than it is right now. But it's there at least, right? It's farther along than it would be if I was just 'thinking about doing it it' . I actually did it.
Here it is if you want to see it. I mean I should hang my head by even posting it because it's not 'complete'  by any means, but by putting it out there, and I know you will be looking...it'll coax me into keep improving it.  :) I have to use reverse psychology on myself from time to time.


I also learned how to thread my sewing machine this week. HA! I know that's not a biggie but it's something I haven't done in almost a year so I totally forgot how to use it. I couldn't even remember how to sew  in reverse. How sad is that?
But look what I made...well it's not perfect but it's pretty cool. Again..it's a lot cooler in person than just an idea in my head that I never got out. It's here in the world because I forced myself to at least try.



I'm working on several projects for 21 Secrets which opens April 1st.  I have to say, it's been a little bit of a struggle for me because I've moved more away from journaling in a book to  just playing with printing with anything I can get my hands on, sketching in a note pad, doodling on something else, scratching out ideas on loose papers. Journal pages and painted papers are  EVERYWHERE!!  That's actually part of the theme for my class, "Diary of a Highly Effective But Inconsistent Journaler"  you may journal here and there, but it's not consistent, heck it may not even be in a book..but what can we do to make it more a part of our artistic routine?  What are some ideas to reel it all into  one or two places so we CAN use our journals for a reference for future art or just to play with ideas. And just WHAT do we journal on? Do we have to journal on the same type of paper all the time?  
All good questions...and I don't know all the answers but I will share with you several things I've learned along the way and assure you we are in this together and that we can make BEAUTIFUL journal pages..even if they are different from the rest  of the world.  That's the amazing part of journaling. It's totally owwwdilly all about YOU. 

 My other aha 'educational' activity was today when I created my  
Free  ART Lesson
 video for the week.  (haha...like the name?  I had fun playing with some of my facebook friends today trying to come up with a name for my tutorials that I'll be doing weekly) Kinda going off topic here but my idea was to work with some of my partner company's products (as well as other assorted projects)  and share tips or lessons with  my friends and followers on a weekly basis, Friday namely... and come up with a name for this project. 
Free ART Friday or Farting on Friday came up as one of the top choices.  Okay so maybe that's not the best choice, but a funky playful name is trying to be born as we speak but I'm not there yet:)
 
 
 Any whoosers,  in doing this video, I just wanted to do a voice over narration. I had no idea how to do that. I mean, I've done MANY MANY videos before.  I've never narrated a video. No clue.  I literally spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to do it, where the button was, how to get there..then how to edit it once I figured out how to do it.

The videos is just over 3 minutes.  3 hours (not including actual creation time) to do this little ez peezy project. Maybe not the best use of my time...but there again....I LEARNED something and  in doing so...that something I surely can use down the road in other projects. Right? Hopefully! Yes, I know I can use that little nugget of info in future things;)

So are you getting the drift of my article today? You never stop learning.  Even when you haven't done something in eons, you can pick it back up and do something even bigger and better than before.  Doing SOMETHING is a heck of a lot better than doing nothing at all.  When you don't know how to do something..sit your butt down and figure it out...or go ask for help (after you've at least tried to make a go at it). 
Magic will happen, I can assure you.



And last but not least, don't let fear paralyze you from doing the unknown. It doesn't have to be perfect either the first go around.  It gets better and better the more you do it.
Okay so with that said, here's my perfectly IMPERFECT video on creating a 
Faux Stained Glass Journal Page using Twinkling H2O's, Pearl Pens on a gessoed substrate. What am I using for my substrate?  Umm....You'll have to join my class at 21 Secrets to find out the rest of the details.  C'mon, you know you wanna! :))







Enjoy your weekend,  make it fun..play art,  enjoy family and friends....and relax.  You deserve it!


*******************************************************************

Have you signed up for my newsletter? I'd love to share more art tips, specials and exclusive discounts with you! (I send out only once and OCCASIONALLY twice a month)

Stop by my shop and see what's new this week!

 


 

1 comment :

Malinda said...

Jodi, your website is looking very awesome and organized!! Great job!!