Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Monday, March 23, 2015

The Messages That Come Through Art Journaling




You can learn a lot about yourself through art journaling. Leafing through some recent pages I can see snippets of where my mind was at the moment I created the page.  Sometimes the reflections I portray through visual clues and cues are from that very moment, and sometimes I'm speaking to someone I know or wish I could impact in some way, and sometimes they are just words I've captured in my mind from some other fleeting experience that I felt the need to keep with me as a reminder.

Rarely ever do I start with an end in mind, if that makes sense. Most of my pages are works that evolve from painting sessions. Cleaning off my brushes, stencils, stamps, brayers...whatever has paint on it at the time can land on a journal page.   Then late at night when I'm cozied up in my jammies, watching tv or perhaps early in the morning while it's quiet, I will sit and work on a page (or 2, or 3).  They may take weeks to finish.  Even months.   It's at the finish line I will infuse words or conversations I have with myself...or those I want to speak to in the sanctuary of my art journal book(s).

Sometimes there are a lot of words....sometimes there are just a few poignant reminders highlighted on the page.  I don't know....I think art journaling allows me to feel less lonely in some ways.  Not that I feel isolated, but there are times when I wish I had someone to talk to when there isn't anyone there.

And then other times, the words are not for me to feel comfort with...as an artist I realize more and more that the words or images are for someone else to take hold of and feel that sense of comfort.

As if...the message comes through you so someone else may hear what they need to hear..when they need to hear it.  An affirmation if you will that is put into the world to boomerang back to the soul that has requested a sign.  Sometimes it is just me that needs the message...but more often then not, there are others out there too that need the guidance.
This page I created last week after spending a few days with someone that I had(have)  a close connection with for the last 11 or so years.....someone that actually was partially responsible for me getting back into art several years ago...some of the words go out to that person...and the rest are just for me.   Sometimes,  art journaling just helps you come to terms with things going on in your life.

I can't fix everything.

You have to want change in order to get it.

I'm glad this AJ streak I've been on has continued as long as it has.  It keeps me humble and allows me to release and let go so I can do what I need to do next, which is to move forward.

***

Is there something that you do in the quiet of the evening or the first glow of the morning sunshine that keeps you grounded with a sense of peace?  If not, find that thing....it could be jogging, walking, writing, drawing, painting or knitting.  You'd be amazed at how less alone and more comforted you will feel while partaking in that activity that is meaningful to you.
I'd love to hear from you!  Drop me a line and tell me what your 'thing' is that keeps you sane!

************


"Letting Go and Not Looking Back" 

Stop by the shop this week and see what's new!

Special Affiliate Offer:



No comments :