Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Winter In New York--WIP (and good news!!)


I didn't know where I was going until I arrived at my destination.

So much of the creative process is the willingness to let the canvas
speak to you as it evolves and takes on a life of it's own.
You can start with a sketch, formulate an idea, have a notion of what it is you want to communicate--and then be okay if the fork in the road tells you it is time to turn towards a new destination. Those that fight that direction to turn usually end up frustrated, standing still or worse yet--turn back. It's okay to pause and reflect, but move on you must.

winter in ny part 1crop2  wip


I fully intended to make this new set of canvases in the same vein of the many other collections I've been creating as of lately, but this grouping seemed to speak to me in a different way. I loved the backgrounds that had evolved, they are in many ways when examined close up, deep, reflective and hauntingly peaceful. Perhaps it's the color combination, perhaps it's the many layers-whatever the case is, I decided to understate my little houses and show just shadows of others in a winter like scene.

Winter In New York
I wanted to show you a sample of where I'm at today. I haven't posted in the last several days because I've been extremely busy trying to complete several works in progress for a couple of different venues. I'm at the point right now where I just need to add some final details in the shading and then varnish and sign the pieces. What a relief. That will be done today for these pieces and I'll be halfway done with my projects. At some point today, I need to write an Artist Biography. Has anyone compiled one of their own? I've written a statement but a biography is different. I am trying to think of what right I have to even say I have a biography let alone one that someone would want to read--but I must try to put into 100 words or less what it is that I do, where I come from, and what is it that inspires me. That's a daunting task.
I've been so many places, emotionally and physically. I do many different things but am leaning towards focusing on just a few. Inspire surrounds me where ever I turn, but I suppose some things speak to me now more so than others. Where do I want to go? Forward. It's pretty simple. By revisiting the past through my memories and laying them down on a canvas, I'm hoping to move forward in my career as a full time artist (which by the way I'm only at the point where I can pay for a weeks groceries and my art supplies with what I make, but that's a starting point, right??). I'm no where near where I need to be to do this full time.

winterinNY3crop wip
But good things are coming....and I need to allocate my time wisely, be productive, and be business like in what I do to keep my work flowing, profitable, and meaningful. And still make time for my family and my day job that pays the bills.

For those of you who are subscribers of Cloth, Paper, Scissors--perhaps you've seen my article, "Finding My Way Home"---it's finally published!!!! What a journey!!! I have only seen the PDF file sent to me for final approval as my artist copies have not arrived but a few little birdies sang out that they had seen it and it looked really nice. It's scary to think so many will be seeing up close and personal what I created, even scarier for me to think that so many will be reading what I wrote. Both make you so vulnerable, but at the same time, it's exhilarating and tremendously exciting!! I hope to have another article out in the Spring--some things are tentative now, so stay tuned for that, for now--please let me know what you think if you've seen it, and if you think this an avenue I should continue to pursue.

Next week--I'll let you know where the collection "Winter in New York" will find her home. Wait to you hear how this came about....it's funny how little things can open doors. :)

Till next time,
Don't be afraid to turn if the sign tells you that this is the right way to go. Life is an adventure, be ready to roll with it!

11 comments :

Kathy said...

Girl~
You nailed this one. Love it. I think the background is awesome. And the pop of red is just the right touch.
I love checking in to see what your posting...
~xx~
Kathy

Artsnark said...

I live in Florida get to NYC once each winter. This 1 reminds me of the pervasive greys & cold winds I always find there. Great piece! The red pops perfectly

Alisa Nordholt-Dean said...

Beautiful work! I love how the hint of white offers hope during an otherwise dreary winter day. Congrats on your recent successes...if anyone deserves it, it's you!

Sheila said...

These are looking beautiful!! I like the choice to let the backgrounds shine. They have such depth to them.

Anonymous said...

What a nice direction your work is taking.

Congratulations on your CPS pubication too!

starrynightimpressions said...

Love your winter genre!
and the fleur de lis's just pull me right in.
Congrats on your published article, I can't wait to read it.
You are a wonderful inspiration!
starrydeborah

Anonymous said...

I love your new Winter in New York collection. Just beautiful. And congrats on being in "Cloth, Paper, Scissors." How wonderful! I'll have to look for it on the newsstand.

e.beck.artist said...

yes! your first paragraph is exactly right .... why is it such a struggle to go where art takes you ... rather than trying to have the art go where you want to force it to go?

and yes! i saw you in cps .... grand!

Mónica Zúñiga said...

This is a wonderful piece, It sure does look different but in a great way, love were you are going! Much success in your new store! :)
Monica Zúñiga.

FrostingsNSparkles said...

Lovely work, Lucy!!! Your winter scenes are freakin' fabulous!!

xoxoxo

Denise said...

although I loathe winter, I love this series.


denise