Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Pre-Register at a great Sale Price

Pre-Register at a great Sale Price
Begins September 6th!

Join 100's of students from around the world!

Join 100's of students from around the world!
Zen Painting! 30 videos, open ended workshop!

Sunday, October 15, 2006

I've been up since 6:30


I think you probably have figured out that I love to shop thrift stores and yard sales, but did you know that I love to cook as well?? I am a down home cook, I really don't get into elaborate recipes that call for ingredients that you rarely use or are hard to find. And because we are a very small family, just 2 or 3 of us, or if I'm lucky, there might be four around the dinner table....I don't make crazy things that aren't kid friendly. Today I got up around 6:30. I have no idea why. I can't seem to sleep in on the weekends. During the week, it's a different story. I could sleep to eleven if you let me but since I have a day job and a son to get off to school, I grudingly pull myself out of bed and get the day going!


Yesterday, I got up early to hit the yard sales and I made out like a bandit. Not every day is like this as I'm sure most thrifters will agree. Sometimes you might come home empty handed, other times, a car load. By the way, why do people go thru the trouble of advertising a yardsale, pulling it all together and in reality, all they have to show for their trouble is 2 tables of real JUNK? Isn't that disappointing to hit a sale that sounds good from the advertisement but when you get there it is anticlimatic what nots that aren't worth the effort to look thru.


Probably the best place I hit was a surprise winner. Advertised in the paper was a yard sale at an ecelctic plaza in Southern Pines, called The Belvedere Plaza. Shop owners and friends placed their wares in a lovely courtyard (some featured major discounts on their items, others featured true yard sale finds). Check out the lovely baskets and vases I got from one kind seller all for a quarter! YIPPEE. I also picked up several Country Living and decorative magazines I had missed for a quarter each as well.


I spotted the quilters rack from a distance and did a U-eee on the road. I got up close and noticed that the arms had been glued so I got her to go down on the price to 5 dollars. I have one quilt. But I had been wanting a quilt rack to display all the quilts I intend to make. See my profile....I am learning to sew and quilting is definitely on my agenda.


I also went to a place I like to visit every so often, The Sandhills Coalition. They raise money through accepting donations (kinda like the Goodwill....but MUCH MUCH, did I say MUCH, more reasonable prices) and assist the less fortunate in our area in a multitude of ways. Their hours are mostly early morning until 11 am so Saturdays are the only day I can go there. You need to go early....when they open at 9, to get the best selection. That's where I got the fold up chairs in a previous post. At The Coalition, I got some fabric remnants for a quarter a piece, some quite note cards for a quarter as well, and various dishes and a picture frame. All total, $2.05 and I had a bag full! I told you, I get excited about the little things!


Back to my baking.....this morning, I got up and made these cheesy popovers. No elaborate recipe, they are from a mix from King Arthur. That was a luxury purchase yesterday at 4.25. I visited a business associate's new retail venture in unusual and highend kitchen accessories and northeastern foods, (cheeses, maple sugar, spices, candy, chocolate). I left with a cookie mix and and the popovers. Review of the purchases.....I can make better cookies but the popovers turned out wonderfully light and airy. I added cheddar and romano cheese because I just can't leave well enough alone in a recipe. I always add my own touches, it's just one of my down falls.


I also have some stuffed peppers in the oven for an early afternoon luncheon I am going to.......so I must close now and get my act together for my excursion. I hope your weekend is a peaceful and happy one.


:)lucy


2 comments :

Paula said...

Your popovers look YUM! I love to cook also. Just did stuffed peppers one night last week on the request of my 14 year old who I thought hated them. Maybe his culinary tastes are starting to improve?!

Lucy said...

Thanks Paula for your sweet comments! I was the one who used to hate stuffed peppers when I was younger....funny how 'us' kids really do change over time. If only I could get my son to eat any vegetables, I'd be doing good :)

lucy