Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Inspirational Messages: Do You Have The Grit Gene?

Over the last few days I've been working on lots of projects that kinda have been more computer orientated.  Okay ya...not really projects unless you call me a project..haha!  Taxes.  The good news is that last year, I was doing that in March and this is of course, January. I'm making progress on my 'work in progress' self.  

While doing 'book work' or any type of repetitive computer work (or even sometimes in the art studio), I like to listen to "Ted Talks" and amazingly, I feel like I'm 'upping' my IQ by a millimeter and expanding my critical thinking by tenfold.  wink wink.  

I thought I'd share some of my recent Ted Talks  binge listening sessions  with you over the next couple of days and share my thoughts on how they may relate to you, me, and living/working in a creative settting.

Do you think Grit plays a role in YOUR success in art, professional life, or personal best self?

I love how Angela Lee Duckworth says, ' that we need to be able to fail, to learn and to persevere over the long haul'.  I see all to often people (and it's not just in art) that become paralyzed by the thought of trying something outside of their comfort zone because they are afraid of failing.  

So what if your painting is not a masterpiece the first time you pick up the brush?  Are you in it for the long term? Is this what you want to do and are you ready to roll up your sleeves for the long haul to learn everything you can learn about your medium?

There are many talented people who do awesome at whatever they touch.  And there are others who have that 'grit' gene who have the ABILITY to be just as awesome as that talented person but they are afraid to do anything because they are not currently on the same level as person xyz.  Should that matter? Is growth and success a finite result?  Or is your learning capability a long term marathon, one that effectively increases in success and development over time and is  the result of  simply, not giving up after the first try.

Use your Grit Gene today and believe you can do anything you set your mind to.  It's not going to be easy, and you aren't going to be perfect...nor are you going to be successful each and every attempt at whatever you do...but you will (and I guarantee it) be a million times more successful by keep moving forward. Be passionate and fearless with what you do and know that achievements are won rather than given out of thin air (well most of the time..this is life after all and not everything is fair) ;)

Until we meet again,

Jodi

********************

Check out what's new in the shop this week!


3 comments :

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I watched that TedTalk as part of an assignment for school and didn't even connect it to my artwork, thank you for sharing and helping make the connection. It is a great Ted Talk.

Jodi Ohl said...

I'm glad you found the talk relevant in your art! Thank you for stopping by!

ellen said...

Jodi...You should be very proud of yourself. You've come a long way since the day you walked into the Art-Is...You family...OH! the places you've yet to go...