Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mini Zentangle Doodles and a Demonstration


In honor of Art Everyday Month hosted by the uber talented Leah, I'm trying to be better at showcasing what I'm doing and blogging more frequently (as well as visiting blogs). Over the last few months, it just seems that I've been bogged down with misc. things that have kept me from my little online world of blogging. Art has not stopped though...in fact, this year I've done a lot of projects, shows, and even a bit of writing. (Stay tuned for a new article coming out in Cloth Paper Scissors come January)!

I'm trying to position myself to one day doing this gig full time. I'm having a hard time deciding when that would be though. When do you know you are ready??? Is anyone else out there self employed??? How did you get started? Did you have another income coming in before you hit the ground running??? I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I don't have a lot of money saved, that's the problem. AND I just bought this house. I do have my 401k I could tap into...but...not sure if that would be wise. hmmmm...all things to ponder as I decide what I want to do with the next 40 years of my life :)

In the mean time...I'm conducting classes, creating when I can, and even doing demos for different functions and organizations. My next two demos will be at the Art of the Carolina's this coming weekend, held in Raleigh at the North Raleigh Hilton. On Friday at 12:00 I will do a ATC demo on creating distressed backgrounds using ranger inks; then on Saturday I will be doing a demo at the Strathmore table featuring their ATC papers and these quick little pen, pencil and marker doodles-similar to the ones featured in Cloth Paper Scissors on "Zentangles". I am a bit addicted to these mini mindless activities. I've added a twist to a few of them by lightly sketching a subject rather than random tangles and filling in the body of my sketch with fun doodles and limited colors. I love how they look matted! Come see me at 1:00 pm on Saturday at the Strathmore table!!

***
Question of the day--when do you know it's time to go off on your own???


15 comments :

Apron Thrift Girl said...

I can't answer your question. I'm hoping thought that you intuition will let you know when it's the time. I was told once that I need to stop all of my small businesses to just focus on one. Because my focus was so scattered I couldn't be successful in any of them. Of course this is different because you are becoming so successful. It's been truly amazing to watch you grow from a newish blog and I think at that time you were just playing around with art? And now I watch you on Facebook with shows, classes and art flying out of your Etsy store. It's been so fun to observe where your art has taken you.

Apron Thrift Girl said...

I should add that I can't properly answer because my situation is so different than yours. But as you see from above I was happy to share my thoughts. :-)

Brenda Lynn said...

Hi Jodi-

I've been playing with Zentangles outside of the abstract lines too. It's so endless how they can be applied! And yours here still showcase your unique style. How cool is that! Great great fun.

As far as your question, I can't really get into all the details of my situation, but my answer is that you know already know the answer. It's the voice in you posing the question. It's that brave part of you entertaining the idea. THAT is your answer!

Best of luck in all things,
Bren

Teresa aka Tess said...

Hi Jodi, I can't answer your question either but I beleive I read somewhere that you should have 1 full years worth of funds in the bank to cover all of your monthly expenses before you take the plunge. If you need it it is there, if not you are that much ahead of the game. I believe your success will continue because you are delving into new territory with your art classes and writing. Several sources of income... I must admit I envy you and I am told envy is a bad thing. Oh well! Love your life and your art and continue on, as another said, you will know when the time is right. Oh and these zentangles are fantastic. I'll have to try one in my journal I just made. I like your butterfly here and that you made the zentangel uniquely yours.

Joella said...

Love your work...you are truly an inspiration:)

CorazonArt said...

Rock On Chica! Keep up the great work!

Susie said...

I love your pieces. Dragonflies are one of my favorite things. I had not heard of zentangles, but I like what you have done. Wish I lived close enough to attend your workshops.

Heidi said...

When health insurance reform passes, so atleast you won't have that to worry about!

linda said...

Wow, you are super busy! Love your work and I think all your questions can only be answered by you...I know, cliche! But when you feel it is the right time, you won't question it anymore. Certainly there are a lot of practical things to worry about, so take your time in planning and feeling comfortable. I think everyone has their own path...

Jodi Ohl said...

All your suggestions, thoughts and advice are all very much appreciated :)

Kelly Warren said...

lovely work here jodi! i can't really answer your question either because i have the same question! as heidi said, health care reform would help! insurance is what keeps me where i am! i wish you the best. :-) follow your heart.

Julie said...

Jodi, So glad I found your blog. I linked from Pam Carriker's. I'll be a regular reader. Thanks so much, Julie

Artsnark said...

These are fun, Jodi. Good luck with the big questions. And keep the faith - it'll happen in time :D

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I don't have an answer for your question ~ but I do so hope that you will teach a class nearer to me sometime soon!!! XO

Tia said...

Jodi, oh my lawdy, girl.. I am loving these zentangle Doodles! Soooo interesting and downright fun!! You can't help but feel happy when you look at these :)