Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Deadlines and Crisis's


Just a quick post to remind all the Sweet Goodness Swappers that the send out is tomorrow, June 3oth for our latest swap. Phew--that time went by so quickly!! If there are any issues with the send out, please advise your partner asap!
****


Is anyone out there concerned about the latest predictions about gas going to 7.00 a gallon as soon as the end of the summer? What are your thoughts on that? I'm very nervous about that prospect, especially living in an area where there is NO public transportation what so ever. One thing is for sure, the trickle down effect is going to hit our economy in all aspects of our lives for the next several years. I need to really sit down and think about how we do our shopping, entertaining, cooking, transportation etc and figure out ways to cut back significantly.
I'm not an expert on economics by any means, but the speed at which this gas increase has occurred really seems a little too contrived to be coming from the laws of supply and demand. What exactly has changed over this last year that caused this change? Someone needs to enlighten me. I was watching a news program the other day and the commentator was mentioning the fact that Americans are smart. The American people will be able to cut back and revise their shopping and spending habits enough to absorb the price increase at the pumps and the stores. I wanted to reach through the screen and slap her upside the head. Families will be able to absorb the costs at the pump? Maybe so, but at what cost? Our government needs to act quickly to react to this situation before our economy collapses from the trickle down affect of the surging oil prices.
We need to react quickly as well. We need to start buckling up now and cutting back on our consumption of EVERYTHING now. If there's something you really need that's a large purchase, best buy it this summer as the cost of goods, especially electronic items will be going up exponentially by summer's end. We really need to recycle better in all ways, shapes and forms. Using what you have is going to take on a new meaning soon, it's not going to be a choice, it's going to be a necessity. Perhaps some of this is not a bad thing. I thing the part that scares me is that things are happening so quickly and there isn't much choice available for those of us who live an work in rural America as far as transportation and housing goes. Going green and becoming more self sustaining is not a bad thing at all. Figuring out how to make it all happen and be able to afford everything financially now and into retirement is the scary part. One that we must face and react to sooner rather than later.

Let's hope the new administration takes on this challenge head on before we slide into another depression as a country!
*****
Okay--off my soap box. Back on to my more creative and less whiney side in our next post :)

Be sure to check out my new sale section in my Etsy shop. New items will be rotated in and out each Sunday from now until Christmas.
If we must buy things, supporting hand made items by artists and crafters is a good thing!

2 comments :

Sarah and Jack said...

Well, I am trying not to be a Debbie Downer about gas and the economy and the cost of food etc, etc, etc, but in reality, I am a little bit panicked.

I am already trying to squeeze as it gets harder and harder. I dont want to imagine it even worse.

Heidi said...

Well, we are already have been belt-tightening, what with my husband not working for over a year and him being in school (tuition!). Plus my new job requires a 100-mile round trip commute, luckily it's only 2 days a week or so. Still.

We're doing a lot of doing without around here! But it's OK. The best things in life aren't things! (And I have enough craft supplies to last me till the economy turns again!)