Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Thursday, November 11, 2010

You Are Not Alone Art Everyday Month Day 11

There's a fine line between peaceful solitude and loneliness.   A creative life can be a full life, and it can be a quiet lonely life.  I rarely feel the loneliness anymore.  I think it's because I feel gratitude and joy for all the opportunities I've been presented with and the friends I've made along the way.  Good friends.  Friends that I really, really, really needed.  When I moved to North Carolina 660 miles from my home, I left behind some very good friends and all of my extended family.  All I did pretty much was work.   A lot.  6-7 days a week, 60-70 hours a week at least not including driving time.
Needless to say, I didn't make many friends for  a long time.  I could barely keep my own life together with my family let alone make time for friends.  I never felt that I would meet & make the type of friends I grew up with and perhaps that's how everyone feels. I guess it was just magnified for me because of how far away I was from everyone and how chaotic my life had become.
I quit my job that originally brought me to NC and took some time off before starting in my new career.  I did make some new friends but still....not so much still. I was in a position and still am where I can only get so close to my co-workers because I am their leader.   Fast forward to a couple of broken relationships and many bumps in the road, I still had a longing for companionship outside of the office and outside of my office setting with people I could lean on and do things with whenever we could.
I started dabbling in art, and connecting with a few people online through blogging, Etsy, and other forums....and then....who knows how it all happened but I met some fellow artists from my own home town.  Amazing. I was just beginning to play with all the cool paints and tools and pretty much had no idea what I was doing but I was having fun and I wanted to share that enthusiasm with others and do things with people that got what I was all about.  Serendipity.  I met some wonderful women who then introduced me to a whole slew of other wonderful women artists....and through those new connections I finally made the friends that I was missing for so long.  It's not easy for me to connect to others....believe it or not, I'm rather shy in  a lot of social situations.  Business...perfectly fine, more than fine.  Social--I'm an observer rather than a leader.

The moral of the story is, I don't fear being alone anymore. I have made lots of connections and friends, many people I can count on and they know they can count on me, too. It's all come together beacause of this 'solitary' peaceful creative life that I now lead (albeit part time).  It took being brave and following the doors that were opening,  walking through them even if it felt a little uncomfortable at first....it all happened exactly when I needed it to the most.
Thank you to the peeps I met through my blog and other blogs, too.  You all have added much joy and inspiration in my life.  :) 

Here's to never being alone.  You have nothing to fear, there's always someone there whether you can see them or not. Just reach out your hand and you'll be amazed at who is there to hold it for you.

***

Materials Used:

9x12 Strathmore Visual Journal
Neocolor II Water soluble crayons
Staz On Ink
Rubber Stamps
Stabilo Pencil
Pitt Pens in shades of gray
Black Pitt Pens
Ball Point Pen
Liquitex paint in titanium white and titan buff
Uniball pen in silver
Magazine cut out 








3 comments :

Ashley said...

Lovely post. Being an artist too I feel like I can relate to your story. Love your work!

Anne Butera said...

Wonderful post. Thank you for sharing your story. Beautiful journal page, too!

Theresa Plas said...

Great message and inspiration Jodi. What a brave girl and talented artist!