Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Take a Snow Day

 Has it been 2 weeks since I last posted?  Yikes, I guess posting almost every day in November burned me out a little bit.   Just a little..lol.  I had lots going on between work, vacation, Christmas, parties....all the usual craziness that ensues us all during this time of year.  I have been creating a bit though...mostly in my journal.  Faces, black and white--solemn, thoughtful, soulful faces.
And its been perfect weather to play in my journal....as you can see.....
 North Carolina got a bit of snow these last few days!!!  I know for those of you who live in the snow belt, its no big deal.  Snow around here however is as big as the Pope coming to town.  Everything shuts down and no one does anything....for days in advance before a flake drops as a matter of fact (hahaha    only stretching the truth a bit)!
Winter Wonderland (photo taken with the Retro Camera app for android).
Hard to believe I'm thinking about buying a patio set with this scene out my back door!
Cold and still....all the more reason to crawl under your blanket with a cup of hot chocolate close by,  nestle up with your art journal supplies or perhaps a good book, or that magazine you've been waiting to read until you have enough time.   I declare take your own snow day sometime soon after the holidays where you do nothing but relax, read, draw, sleep, eat a bit, and just enjoy the quiet solitude of a cold winter's day.
It will warm even the coldest of hearts or heal the numbest of minds.  Too much stimulation, too many demands, too many stresses, too many things pulling you like a rubber band--it all weighs heavy on your heart and mind afer a while.  You need a snow day every here and there.
I had a great week last week. I was off much of the week before Christmas. I swear I never cooked and cleaned so much  in my life. The boys hung out like brothers should.  They had a good time making each other laugh, make me laugh with their silliness. I had a good time just being me.  I was stretched a bit to get it all done but in a good way. I was stressed but not overwhelmed.  I didn't get much art done but I did do some in short spurts and that's okay too.  You shouldn't feel as if 10 or 20 minutes isn't worth even doing at all.  It is. It's really worth it, especially if you need to slow down from all the above (or all the before....before the vacation). I know I did. I still do. I need to slow down and take a snow day more often.  It truly recharges your batteries and sets you back on the right path...or even perhaps a different one.  ****Coming up next--some cool new announcements! Stay tuned****!!
     
Posted by Picasa

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I love that app by the way!
And the snow on Christmas was beautiful! I don't remember a time it snowed that long though. But it kept me from seeing my Dad on Christmas (first time in my life!), so that part wasn't cool at all.
I am glad you said 10 minutes is worth doing art. I find I won't do anything unless I have a whole afternoon to do it in. And working full time, with three boys ... how many times does that happen??? So I realize I am using that as an excuse to not try to do anything. I need to get over it, don't I?
Actually when I was doing your Faux Encaustics, I did short burst of things at night before bed. and I completed it. and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I want to do another one, but I am in that trap of, oh I don't have time. but I do, just not in one shot!
Sorry to ramble, but you hit a nerve!

Tracy said...

i know what you mean with the snow! we drove back home in the blizzard that hit new york. but down here in maryland everything shut down and there was only 1 inch of snow on the ground! stay warm!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

What beautiful winter pictures. I love the Retro app! I am going to have to check that out. :)