Best Selling Acrylic Painting Instructional Book

Zen Houses Online Workshop

Zen Painting Online Workshop

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Prep Work Art Everyday Month Day 16

The thing about leaving for work at 7:30 am and getting home at 7:30 pm...it's hard to complete art every day :)
But we can at least prepare ourselves for future art projects and make a bit of progress...baby steps.
Tonight, I'm getting things prepared for a few very special projects...(yay)
I like to begin my backgrounds by using tissue paper collage and images.  You are seeing here a new sheet I stamped this evening with some of my favorite stamps using black Staz On ink and scrap dressmaking tissue (purchased at a yard sale).
I like to stamp several images of the same stamp so I'm prepared for the next project having lots of images to choose from.
You don't even have to be perfect when stamping, in fact, it's probably best when you leave an imperfect image so it looks like it's either fading or receding in your background on your substrate.


Next, I pick out a variety of papers...I like papers with words.  I'm challenging myself to use scraps of what I have before I tear into new stuff or buy ANYTHING else.  I'm using papers from old journal pages I scanned for a journal class I taught.  Use what you have!  After all....I have to make room here:

I have to find room for all these boxes of canvases I purchased at the Art of the Carolina's...umm...ya...this is just the tip of the iceberg people. I'm growing out of my new studio at record speed! :) But....but...just look at all the potential my bazillion canvases hold!!  I have a good year of arting here ready to go. Which is a good thing. After all, if I want to make a living as an artist, gotta have something to create on!

Okay so I'm going to go back and hit my projects up for another 1/2 hour or so before I have to lay it down and get some rest for whats sure to be another fun and adventurous day at the office.  Sighh....so glad I have art to escape to and play with when I need a dose of relaxation.  Even if it's for just a short period of time.

Happy Creating!

5 comments :

Beverley Baird said...

Love how you are using those old tissue patterns! N\You've given me inspiration in how to use my old patterns!

Leah said...

Great job getting started on some new pieces! I love using old patterns in collage.

joanne sharpe said...

Love the tissue paper, you have the best ideas Jodi!

Shari Sherman said...

I am right there with ya, Jodi, on the baby steps. Even a little bit of time prepping stokes the sparks of creativity inside! Love those tissue stamps.

Jodi Ohl said...

:) Thank you everyone--see you can fit a few minutes in everyday...forward progress, right!
And yes...I love using dressmaking tissue in almost all of my paintings. It's an inexpensive way to incorporate texture and depth without adding a lot of bulk to your pieces. Try it!